Friday, August 21, 2009

The Meaning of The Name

Getting out of the sand- Gage
Lining it up just right.

Jake ready to send it in for par.



Beautiful swing!



My two Tiger cubs... Gage and Jake



Gage and Jake have picked up a great game....GOLF! We are thrilled and so much to the point where I'm dedicating a blogsite just for them. The meaning of the blog? Well, I started calling them my "Tiger cubs" after realizing they could be the next up and coming new "Tiger Woods"..... They like the nickname but not as much as I do.... I need to mention also, we have a cat named..... you guessed it... Tiger.





They received their first golf clubs over Christmas 2008 and haven't put them down since. We were living on a golf course from December 2008 to June 2009 where they were constantly playing, even in the snow, rain and occasional impending lightning storms. Nothing can keep them down. So, we took that desire and fueled it with lessons. They are now members of an amazing golf club called "The First Tee". President George H. Bush actually is on the board and helped steer this into a national club. First Tee allows the boys to have lessons on a weekly basis, play in tournaments (competing against fellow peers) and even have access to such events such as the LPGA coming to Rogers (Pinnacle Hills Country Club) in September. Gage was chosen to be a part of the Heinz Ace Mentorship program. He submitted an essay on "Perserverance" in July and was chosen as a winner to play with two mentors from Wal-Mart at a Bella Vista country club for a day. He also gets to play at Shadow Valley country club next weekend as his other mentorship day. Four boys from the Heinz Ace awards will be chosen on August 31 to play with an LPGA member at the tournament in Sept. Gage is up for this possibility. All he has to do is give a 2-minute presentation next Saturday (at the luncheon) on "Judgment". From that, his skills and his interaction with his mentors, he will be chosen to join the elite four to play in September. Needless to say, he is ecstatic. Fifty members of First Tee (at a certain age level) were chosen from all over the country to play at Pebble Beach last week with PGA members. This is a FANTASTIC program. It focuses on golf but also life-skills. The boys are required to do 5 hours of community work, work on power point slides and presentations and also stay on par with their classes...no pun intended....LOL. They will be assessed on Monday to see if they are up to skill level or need to practice more. I'm excited to see what the results are.










I hope this information has given you a little insight as to what they are up to. We are also homeschooling them this year to give them the opportunity to learn at home but also play more often and have the ability to excel at what I believe is a God-given talent.










Words cannot express the pride I feel when I see them play on the course, and grown men watch and compliment them on their swings. Or, are asked to join a scramble due to the fact that the adults see such talent. The best part is my boys aren't prideful. Not one bit. They are actually in a constant state of humility and are grateful. My eyes watered up today when I had my big 12-year old come to me and ask me to read his favorite scriptures in the Bible today. They are focused on Who gave them such talent and intend on glorifying Him thru every bit of it all.










Stay tuned to read more, see more and hopefully watch some videos once I get some good stuff recorded! Today's pictures are from The Greens, in Rogers, AR.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to tell my grandkitties that I taught the PGA pro's Gage and Jake Lance everything they know! I'm so proud of myself...er, I mean you guys!! ;)

    ReplyDelete